Thursday, February 12, 2009

Random Mexican Meatloaf

The other night I realized I had a family sized package of 93% lean all-natural ground beef from Sprouts (the most amazing grocery store/Farmer's Market EVER) that I bought on serious sale. Every Wednesday they have Double Ad Day where the sales from the previous week and the current week are both valid. I always try to stop by on my way home from work to catch the most savings. I believe I got this ground beef on sale for $2.99/lb, which is a steal considering it was super lean and organic/all-natural. Anyway, I needed to do something with all this meat so it did not go bad, so I decided to put together a "Whatever I have in my pantry/fridge" Meatloaf (which is often how I cook, anyway!). I made two of them and stuck one in the freezer for another day. Below is the recipe... the measurements are probably not perfect because I just eye-balled it all. :-)

Mexican Meatloaf

2lbs ground beef
1 can Rotel, drained
1/2 container Part Skim Ricotta
1/2 C egg beaters
1 clove crushed garlic (or more if you love garlic!)
1 C crushed Tortilla Chips (I used baked... and possibly a little more than 1C)
Cumin, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, Pepper... all to taste
Cheddar Cheese (to top)

Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl (along with the spices) with your hands. This gets messy... but it is so fun and gooey! (I used about 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 1/2 tsp Cumin, 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes)

Divide into two balls. If the meat is too gooey, add more crushed tortilla chips. If it is not sticking together well, add more egg beaters or Ricotta.

Shape into loaves in two greased 8x8 or 9x9 pans. Top with Cheddar Cheese (I used 2%).

Cover one with Saran and Foil and freeze. Bake the other at 350 for ~1 hour (0r until no longer pink in the middle).

Top with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole for an extra treat!

1 comment: