Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Breakfast and Dinner... at once!

So, I have two new recipes that my friend Melissa encouraged me to add to my blog (we always swap recipes, and I recently gave her these two recipes). One is an oldie (but a GOODIE) that my mom used to always make, and the other is one of my own that I like to get my protein in the mornings. I don't have pictures right now, but I will work on posting some... ENJOY!

Chicken and Gooey Rice
1 can Healthy Request (or 98% fat free) Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Healthy Request (or 98% fat free) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Healthy Request (or 98% fat free) Cream of Celery Soup
1 cup brown rice
1 lb chicken, pounded thinly and cut into 4-6 pieces (total)
Paprika
Salt
Pepper

Heat oven to 325. Grease a 9x13 pan.

Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl, then pour and spread evenly in baking dish. Press chicken into mixture so that only top of chicken is showing. Sprinkle Paprika, salt, and pepper on top to taste. Bake 2 hours. ENJOY!

** I have added many things to this, including spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms (thanks, Melissa!). Just be sure to add a little bit of milk so that the veggies have enough moisture to cook!

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies

1/2 C unsweetened Dark Cocoa (ex: Hershey's Extra Dark Cocoa)
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/4 C quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 C granulated white sugar (I think I used half splenda, half sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C dark chocolate chips (ex: Ghiardelli 60% cocoa)
1 large egg (I used 1/4 C egg beaters)
1 tsp vanilla (pretty sure I did about 2 or 3)
1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 C natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
3-4 scoops vanilla or chocolate protein powder

Heat oven to 350.

Whisk first 9 ingredients (through Chocolate chips) in large bowl, add in protein powder and whisk again.

In small bowl, whisk egg, vanilla, apple sauce, and peanut butter.

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (optional). Scoop balls of dough (between 16-20), and press down to flatten the shape of the cookie. Place one inch apart.

Bake 10 minutes, or until no longer gooey. Let cool, then enjoy!

** I typically eat a few of these for breakfast in the car, or for a good afternoon snack. They have ALL the nutritional content you need for a decent, on the run meal!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! The chicken was delicious, and I can't wait to try the cookies!! Instead...will you be my personal chef?? :)

    ReplyDelete