Monday, May 11, 2009

Teriyaki Salmon Kebabs

I love summer time because I end up planning most of our meals around cooking out on the grill. I love not having to heat up the oven and get the kitchen warmed up (it is the warmest room in the whole house... with no windows that we can open... HORRIBLE planning on Mr. Architect's part).

I found the recipe at a grocery store a few years ago, and after some small modifications, it has become my FAVORITE salmon marinade ever. The recipe below is for kebabs, but I will make a note at the end on how to alter it for fillets. It works well with either one, and is SURE to be a hit the next time you venture out to the grill.


Teriyaki Salmon Kebabs
- 3/4 cup bottled Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tsp ginger (I just use ginger powder, but fresh minced ginger would be great)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2lbs Fresh Salmon, Cubed in 1 1/2" pieces
- wooden kebabs, soaked in water
- 1 bunch of green onion, cut into 2" pieces

1. Mix Teriyaki sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes in a large plastic baggie. Add Salmon and coat. Allow to chill for at least 45min (best if chilled for up to 2 hours).

2. Soak wooden kebabs in a shallow pan for at least 20 minutes to avoid burning of the skewers.

3. Prepare skewers, alternating between salmon and pieces of green onion.

4. Prepare grill to medium heat. Place skewers on a well greased cooking grate or foil (I like PAM for high heat/grilling on my grill pan like shown below).
5. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. With tongs, turn skewers and cook covered for an additional 4 minutes. Fish is done when brown on the outside an no longer translucent in the center. If it is flaky and falling apart, it is done!

*** To cook Fillets***
- Chop green onion into small pieces, and add to marinade. Before adding meat to marinade, reserve about 1/2 cup and set aside to allow for basting while grilling. Cook at low-medium heat for ~6 minutes/side, or until brown and flaky.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me super hungry. I love salmon!!! Your recipe reminds me of what I order at Macaroni Grill:) Thank you for the at home version.

    ReplyDelete